House fires are the number-one disaster threat to homeowners. Between 350,000 and 400,000 house fires occur each year in the United States. Unlike natural disasters such as tornadoes and floods, house fires are often preventable. Here are a few fire-prevention steps to help keep your home and your family safe.
Avoid the sun - Flammable products such as paint thinner and lacquer can be ignited by heat sources around your home—even by sunlight streaming through a window. Always keep flammable products in a cool, dark place and in their original containers.
Control candles - Keep lit candles away from materials that could easily catch fire, such as curtains. Never light candles when you’re feeling drowsy—accidentally falling asleep plays a role in 12 percent of all candle fires. Opt for battery-operated candles if you want a little bedtime glow.
Enjoy your fireplace safely - The National Fire Protection Association recommends making sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room. Also, allow fireplace and wood/pellet/coal stove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container.
Keep your stove company - Never leave the kitchen when you have food cooking on the stove. If you must leave the kitchen for any reason, remove the pan from the heat and turn the burner off.
Care for your cords - Electrical cords can produce heat, so make sure they have room to “breathe.” Never trap them tightly between a piece of furniture and the wall or run them under a rug. Check the condition of cords regularly. Frayed wires or those damaged by pets are potential fire starters.
Learn more about preventing fires in the home from the National Fire Prevention Association. If you live in Western North Carolina near Asheville or Hendersonville and have recently had a house fire, call Service Master of Hendersonville. Our team of professionals have the experience and the equipment to restore your home back to like new condition.